
Several of us have read or re-read "Lonesome Dove" lately. It's a western novel about two Texas Rangers, Gus and Call, who decide to drive a herd of cattle 3000 miles north to Montana.
Share your thoughts below. (Spoilers allowed)
Potential Topics:
- Overall thoughts on the book
- Was Clara right in her assessment of Call's final act?
- What was your most unexpected event in the book?
- Who was your favorite non-Gus or non-Call character?
- What do the characters of Lorie and Clara imply about women in the West?
- How does Gus and Call's relationship demonstrate brotherly love?
- Critiques of the book say it drowns in a constant sense of loss. Others argue loss is a central theme of the book. How did you react to loss, in all its forms, while reading?
I read this book after Greg suggested it. It's one of the best books I have ever read. I loved the huge number of well developed characters and the way the author was able to re-create the feeling and scope of the Old West. My favorite character was Gus, who was easy to relate to. I actually also liked Jake Spoon even though he was an asshole. Not sure I was crazy about the ending, kind of just stopped. After almost 900 pages it sort of seems like the book was just stopped cause McMurty was tired of writing it. At the same time, I like how it was left open to our own interpretation. Maybe Call returned to the boys up North, or maybe he stayed in Lonesome Dove. Who knows....
ReplyDelete